Whitworth Whitley was the main aircraft which was based and used by 10 OTU at RAF Abingdon until
1944. The Whitley first flew in March 1936 and entered service with the RAF in 1937. The A.W.38 Whitley was manufactured
at Bagington near Coventry which was adjacent to the present day Coventry Airport. This was the first modern heavy
bomber used during the early part of WW2. This aircraft was not always popular with aircrew and often referred to as the Flying
Coffin. There is not a single example of the aircraft in existence today. In the Coventry Air Museum there is rear body
and tail section of a Whitley. The author has some remains of Whitley T4171 which crashed on 20th October 1940 near Ingleby
Greenhow in Yorkshire.
Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Mark 11
The early Whitley MK 11 fitted with two Armstrong Siddeley Tiger radial engines. The
aircraft above is seen here flying over the Coventry railway juction.
Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Mark V
A rare WW2 colour picture of a Whitley Mark V having last minute adjustments to one
of its Merlin engines. This aircraft from No. 77 Sqn went missing over Aachen on the night of 10th July 1941.
Handley Page Hampden